First things first…. Cardio is boring at the gym, whether you admit it or not 🙂 At times its fun and exciting and you have so much energy its like somone has to drag you off the machine to you get you to stop. But most times… well, you stand on the machine and the timer ticks by slowly… you turn your gaze away and it feels like you’ve been running/stamping on the pedals for 10 minutes but its only been 1,5 minutes… You know that feeling? Yeah, you’re not alone.
I used to do ALOT of cardio at the gym…. anywhere from 40-90 mionutes 5-6 times a week. I did running/cross trainer or step machine. And it was boring, but i felt i had to. But now that is all over and if i do cardio i mostly do it outside through powerwalking, hill walking or running. Though i still do intervals at the gym as that is super fun and i feel that i cant run as fast outside as i can on the treadmill.
But here are some tips on how to make cardio fun – for all of you who feel you need to or want to do cardio at the gym (though i reccommend outside as its so much more fun!!!)
- Listen to podcasts. On the days where i choose to do more than 15 minutes cardio at the gym i turn on a podcast…. it makes the time go buy so much faster. You find yourself maybe smiling or laughing with what the people say. And you dont feel as alone… its like you tune out. So find some good podcasts online which you can download!
- If you are on the cross trainer, step machine or bike then you can watch a film or series on your phone or ipad. (If you have downloaded of have internet connection). This is a good way to pass the time… however, it can also make you slow down. So try not to become too unaware of where you are stop peddling/stamping all together – as i have seen this happen numerous times where people just stand/sit on the machines so absorbed in their show 🙂
- Have a good workout playlist!!! Sing along with songs, do some dance moves 🙂 Dont care about the people around you!!! Just make cardio fun!
- Do intervals… you can do intervals on any cardio machine. And this will make it more fun and intense. But also, its more beneficial and you dont need to do as long to get the same amount of burn and effects as steady rate cardio.
- Compete with the person beside you 🙂 Yup… they will hate you, but it will get you working faster!!! hahaha (Though do also try to focus on yourself as focusing too much on the person beside you wont be fun for them!)
- Look at people around you, make up stories about them…. who are they? What are they doing there? etc
- Make lists in your head!!! This can entertain me for a while just thinking of what i need to do, what are my goals etc
- If there are TVs infront of you and you cant hear what the peopl are saying… make it up 🙂 This has gotten me smiling and laughing before while doing cardio as i begin making up what the people on the TV are saying 🙂 Try it, this is super fun!
Also, try a different form of cardio!!!! Try spinning, bodypump, circuit training, tabata. It doesnt just have to be running on the treadmill for 40 minutes or on the cross trainer for 55 minutes. Cardio is anything that gets your heart beat up for a certain period of time. Try incline walking instead of jogging. Put together a cardio and strength cricuit or do tabata or intervals!!! All great forms of cardio. Even swimming or dancing.
^^My favourite forms of cardio. Boxing/outside training, intervals, running and powerwalking!